monitoring patch status?

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Fri Nov 14 23:38:38 CET 2008

I got hit up with the task of using xymon to monitor whether our windows
servers are patched.  I saw a plugin on deadcat that requires licensed
software from shavlik.com, (and being over 4 years old, I have no idea
if it works with bbwin, or if shavlik's api was still the same) but
wondered if there were any other solutions out there.  Minimum
functionality is a list of applied patches that would show up on the
client data link.

For our linux boxes, I could probably just rpm -qa --last | head and
check the date that an RPM was last installed - if it's more than a
month, there is probably a problem...  But I don't know enough about
windows to come up with a simple solution for those boxes.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CISSP #78281, CNX
Austin Energy