[hobbit] Nagios client, Hobbit server anyone?

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon Nov 10 15:19:32 CET 2008

In <1F7B01020EC4D04DA17703634B9E888E09BFE567 at ULPGCTMVMAI003.EU.COLT> "Ward, Martin" <Martin.Ward at colt.net> writes:

>3. Write a program that acts like a Hobbit proxy server, listening on the N=
>agios port and translating the Nagios reports and alerts in to Hobbit ones.=
> This has benefits in that there will only be one bit of code to write, alb=
>eit a potentially large bit. I will have written the code so if it breaks I=
> can fix it. The downside is that there is going to be a considerable amoun=
>t of time involved in writing the proxy program and I will have to learn ho=
>w Nagios packets are written and how the Hobbit proxy works.

I've thought of that myself a couple of times - it would be useful if
Hobbit could make use of some of the Nagios modules ("plugins", in
Nagios speak).

But Nagios is very different from Hobbit. The network protocol used
between the Nagios server and the clients is not documented (at least,
not anywhere that Google can find for me), and it is also a "pull"
type of protocol, where the Nagios server polls all of the clients
to pick up data.

Doing a "pull" from the Hobbit server wouldn't be all that difficult,
but it would have to mimick the behaviour of the Nagios server. And
since I haven't found anything about how that works, it means digging
into the Nagios server code and trying to figure it out from there.
Or setting up a Nagios system and doing network traces. Both would
take more time than I'd like :-/