Hobbit is dead, Long live Xymon

Everett, Vernon Vernon.Everett at woodside.com.au
Mon Nov 10 14:03:57 CET 2008

I have thought about the name for a while, and I think I like it.

...and now a doctor with a small torch will show us where that name came from. :-)

Who cares how we came to the name.
It's no worse than Zabbix, or Nagios, or any of the other names that were probably thought up in a similar way.
And personally, I think it is better than Hobbit.
Hobbit, as a name, has the distinct disadvantage of being associated with diminutive, hairy footed, fantasy creatures of dubious capability and considerable luck.
It also has the other main disadvantage of being hoarded by fierce lawyers.

Xymon is a good name, it meets all the criteria we set for it, it has no negative associations (or positive ones, for that matter) and it will probably pass muster with the PHBs without a snigger.
Long may it prosper.

Regards
     Vernon

NOTICE: This email and any attachments are confidential.
They may contain legally privileged information or
copyright material. You must not read, copy, use or
disclose them without authorisation. If you are not an
intended recipient, please contact us at once by return
email and then delete both messages and all attachments.