[hobbit] ghostlist

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Mon May 19 22:56:47 CEST 2008

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 1:05 PM, Ralph Mitchell <ralphmitchell at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 12:48 PM, Josh Luthman <
> josh at imaginenetworksllc.com> wrote:
>
>> I believe a "ghost" is where there is data/history for a host but it is
>> not listed on bb-hosts.
>>

>> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 1:44 PM, Hubbard, Greg L <greg.hubbard at eds.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>  I thought "ghosts" were clients that send in data, but their name is
>>> not a match in the bb-hosts file.  If you decide to get rid of a client, you
>>> have to a) update bb-hosts to suspend polling, and b) update the client so
>>> either the agent does not run, or so that it sends its data elsewhere.
>>>

> In my case.  I was fooling around with the bb-stocks.sh script from
> deadcat.net, running it from hobbitlaunch.cfg on the server.  It sends
> reports where the hostname is the ticker symbol (e.g. IBM, MSFT, etc) and
> the column name is "stock".  I let it run for a while, then marked the entry
> in hobbitlaunch as DISABLED and dropped the stock names.
>
> This morning, while reading this email thread, I went back to the script
> and inserted "exit" right at the top, so it shouldn't be possible for the
> script to produce a report, even if it gets launched.
>
> The ticker symbols do *not* show up in the hobbitdboard output.  They
> *were* in the data/hist/allevents file, but
>
>      trimhistory --cutoff=`date +%s --date="19 May 2008"` --drop
>
> took care of that.  I've confirmed via grep that the names do not appear in
> any file in the Hobbit directory hierarchy.
>
> I *do* still see the ticker symbols in  "bb localhost ghostlist", but they
> don't appear in the Ghost Clients web page.
>
> Maybe I'm missing something obvious.  Here's a quick test if you're
> interested in replicating the problem:
>
>    server/bin/bb localhost "status server,domain,com.bogus green `date`"
>    server/bin/bb localhost hobbitdboard | grep server
>    server/bin/bb localhost ghostlist | grep server
>
> server.domain.com should not ever have existed in your bb-hosts file.  It
> will show up in the Ghost Clients web page for 5 minutes.  45 minutes after
> doing the above, it's still showing in "bb localhost ghostlist".
>
> Ralph Mitchell

Replying to myself with an update for any interested parties:  "bb localhost
ghostlist" is still showing:

      server.domain.com|127.0.0.1|1211218983

3 hours after sending that status report just one time, manually.  The big
number after the IP address translates to the date/time the report was
sent,  "Mon May 19 12:43:03 2008".

Maybe this is a bug in the ghost handling procedures??

Ralph Mitchell