[hobbit] history not updating

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Mar 28 10:34:35 CET 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 04:48:00PM -0400, Stewart L wrote:
> Not sure if this is related to my issue about Whoops errors or not, but it
> seems that the history does not always update correctly when a service goes
> down.
>
> Seems to be the same problem as here...
>
> http://www.hswn.dk/hobbiton/2008/03/msg00064.html
>
> My history.log  shows no issues... Bunch of "Will not update <server.test> -
> color unchanged" messages.

This is not a problem if the errors appear after restarting Hobbit.

History updates are normally only logged when the color of a status
changes. However, during a restart color changes might happen while
the history module is not up and running, so the first status that
Hobbit receives after a restart is always sent to the history module.
This message is then logged when the history module detects that the
color hasn't changed, and it drops the update.

Since updates will usually trickle in from clients during the first
5-10 minutes of Hobbit running, you will see this for a few minutes
after a restart.

Of course, if this happens without Hobbit having been restarted, it
is more interesting.