[hobbit] SMS over analog modem

Klaus-Peter Boden Klaus-Peter.Boden at asknet.de
Thu Mar 27 16:57:29 CET 2008

"Rafal Roginela" <Rafal.Roginela at AmeriCashLoans.net> schrieb am 27.03.2008
16:15:57:

> Hi all,
>
> I’m very ignorant in terms of (well… everything ;) SMS so I have
> some questions:
>
> 1. Is it possible to send SMS over analog modem?
> 2. What software I would use to do this? (Howto, samples?)
> 3. Does anyone else use this type of setup with Hobbit?
> 4. Maybe I’m just totally off base and there is a better solution
> for getting alerts when my Internet access is down?

Hi,

our preferred solution for now about 6 BigBrother and later hobbit years
is, to use a GSM Modem. Hardware from Falcom seems to be very robust, at
the moment we use a falcom twist (I think its no longer available) and a
falcom tango modem (costs about 150 Euros which is ??? USD). This is
connected via serial interface to the hobbit servers. You can use external
amplified antennas, what is a good idea if your server is in a well
shielded server room ;-)

As software we use the smstools3 (http://smstools3.kekekasvi.com)
Configuration is very easy.

A commandline tool sendsms is included, which allows to send sms directly
from the shell prompt, so integration into hobbit is really simple, you
just use the SCRIPT directive in hobbit-alerts.cfg

best regards
Klaus
-kpb>