[hobbit] Hobbit to IPPhone

Charles Jones jonescr at cisco.com
Wed Mar 19 02:24:52 CET 2008

Just an update for the folks that are waiting to try this out. I've been
pretty busy this week so havn't had as much time as I would like to get
the code into a releasable format. Right now all of the parameters are
hard coded, so I think I will make it use a config file, which will make
it easier both to configure, and for using different configs for
different phones.

An amusing note, I am currently testing a feature where under certain
user-specified conditions, the IP phone can optionally dial a number on
the speakerphone, wait for it to answer, and then play a pre-recorded
sound. I seriously LOL'd the first time my phone called my cell and
looped "Oh No! a few times :)

After laughing for a bit, I realized this could actually be a helpful
feature, if it were triggered in the event that the network was totally
down, or the mail server was down (thus no hobbit alerts can be sent).
It could also be used as a form of escalation, so that if an alert goes
unacked for 60 minutes, it calls up $BOSS and says "Hey your sysadmin is
asleep and the office is on fire!"  :-)

-Charles