[hobbit] Using Hobbit to monitor a specific port for availability?

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 22:58:27 CET 2008

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 3:24 PM, Josh Luthman <josh at imaginenetworksllc.com>
wrote:

> What I am saying is with the argument telnet:1494 it is doing a telnet
> test to a telnet daemon, on port 23.  You're going about trying to test port
> 1494 all wrong.

Telnet doesn't *have* to connect to port 23.  Try "telnet yourmailserver
25".  If you know what to tell it, you can talk your mail daemon into
accepting email direct from your keyboard...

Anyway according to the bb-hosts man page, under "Simple Network Tests":

  "You can modify the behaviour of these tests on a per-test basis by adding
one or more modifiers to the test: *:NUMBER* changes the port number from
the default to the one you specify for this test. E.g. to test ssh running
on port 8022, specify the test as *ssh:8022*."

Read this: http://www.hswn.dk/hobbiton/2008/02/msg00160.html

In that chain Henrik pointed out a different way to do the check, the
"proper way", if you like:

    http://www.hswn.dk/hobbiton/2008/02/msg00172.html

which is to add an entry to the bb-services file, with possible send/expect
sequences.  When I originally set up Hobbit it was taking over from a BB
installation, which didn't have the bb-services file.  I had the telnet:1494
test working in BB and I wasn't surprised when it continued to work in
Hobbit.

Ralph Mitchell