[hobbit] two independent hobbitserver and bbproxy

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Thu Mar 6 08:42:35 CET 2008

On Thursday 06 March 2008 01:06:15 Martin Flemming wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I've got one main hobbit-server "A" and want/must
> install/configure a  second main Hobbit-Server "B"
> which is located in a dedicated subnet and is a separate Computer-Project
>
> The Server "B" should be a main-server
> because of my colleagues which are not very familiar with hobbit
> and don't want to work with my prodution-server ...
>
> Additional we want to make an separate backup of the data of Server "B"
> so the data should be availabel on Server "B" and Server "A" ....
>
> My question is how to configure  the Server "B" to collect and display the
> data and additional send via proxy the data to Server "A" where i want to
> display them also and if possible collects also the data ?
>
> I've configured of many way's, but unfortunatley didn't find the right
> one  ...
>
> In the mail-archive i've found many useful hints for the problematic of
> using of bbproxy ... but i think the ususal solution is not me the best
> one ... because of collecting data on both server and their independences
> ..

Which problems? Which solutions?

> http://www.hswn.dk/hobbiton/2007/11/msg00492.html
> http://www.hswn.dk/hobbiton/2006/04/msg00083.html
> http://www.hswn.dk/hobbiton/2006/06/msg00434.html
> http://www.hswn.dk/hobbiton/2006/04/msg00083.html
> http://www.hswn.dk/hobbiton/2006/08/msg00816.html
>
> The normal bbproxy is running well ..
>
> Is there a possible to use Server A as DISPLAY-Sever and collect the data
> and simultaneously Server B is the Main Server for Display and collecting
> data
>
> ... or should i use a separate bbproxy-server in the dedicated Subnet
> which sends all data to Server A ...

I've been running a setup like this for almost two years now. On the main
display server (which is watched by our monitoring group) I have a normal
hobbit installation. On the Hobbit server for a different network, I have a
mostly normal installation, except that:
-hobbitd listens on port 1985
-bbproxy is running, listening on port 1984, and relaying to localhost:1985
and the main display server's hobbitd (1984)
-I have disabled the rrddata and rrdstatus tasks here as well (although you
might want them)

Replace <DISPLAYIP> and <PROXYIP> in the below, nothing else.

On the main display server, I have:
hobbitlaunch.cfg:
[hobbitd]
        HEARTBEAT
        ENVFILE /usr/lib/hobbit/server/etc/hobbitserver.cfg
        CMD
hobbitd --pidfile=$BBSERVERLOGS/hobbitd.pid --restart=$BBTMP/hobbitd.chk \
--checkpoint-file=$BBTMP/hobbitd.chk --checkpoint-interval=600 \
--log=$BBSERVERLOGS/hobbitd.log \
--admin-senders=127.0.0.1,$BBSERVERIP,<PROXYIP> \
--www-senders=127.0.0.1,$BBSERVERIP,<PROXYIP>

On proxy server, I have:
hobbitlaunch.cfg
[hobbitd]
        #DISABLED
        HEARTBEAT
        ENVFILE /usr/lib/hobbit/server/etc/hobbitserver.cfg
        CMD
hobbitd --pidfile=$BBSERVERLOGS/hobbitd.pid --restart=$BBTMP/hobbitd.chk \
--checkpoint-file=$BBTMP/hobbitd.chk --checkpoint-interval=600 \
--log=$BBSERVERLOGS/hobbitd.log \
--admin-senders=127.0.0.1,$BBSERVERIP --listen=0.0.0.0:1985

[bbproxy]
        #DISABLED
        ENVFILE /usr/lib/hobbit/server/etc/hobbitserver.cfg
        CMD $BBHOME/bin/bbproxy --hobbitd \
--bbdisplay=127.0.0.1:1985,<DISPLAYIP>:1984 --report=$MACHINE.bbproxy \
--no-daemon --pidfile=$BBSERVERLOGS/bbproxy.pid
        LOGFILE $BBSERVERLOGS/bbproxy.log

hobbitserver.cfg:
BBSERVERIP="<DISPLAYIP>"

(I don't actually have line continuations in the config files ... just really
long lines, I added them for clarity here)

Regards,
Buchan