CPU % load on Windows XP

Bill Arlofski waa-hobbitml at revpol.com
Mon Jun 30 23:33:15 CEST 2008

We have approximately 20 virtual XP workstations on a VMWare ESX 3.02 server
where the bbwin clients on the XP workstations are reporting back to hobbit
CPU loads of between 1% and up to 15% or a little more. This seems appropriate
for the tiny amount of work they are performing.

However, when the CPU load for one of these virtual XP workstations reaches 7%
CPU load (as reported on the CPU page), Hobbit sets the color to Yellow.

When the CPU load gets to just around 10%-11% CPU load Hobbit sets the color
to red.

The hobbit-clients.cfg man page explains the default load as follows:

Defaults: warnlevel=5.0, paniclevel=10.0

Which I understand to be *NIX load levels, not %loads as indicated by Windows
systems.

But in the Reports --> Config Reports page, under the CPU for each host I see:

UNIX - Yellow: Load average > 1.5, Red: Load average > 3.0
Windows - Yellow: CPU utilisation > 80%, Red: CPU utilisation > 95%

So based on that information, I am assuming that the defaults for CPU load on
Windows clients is 80% = yellow and 95% = red.

Have I done misunderstood?

Do I need to add an explicit HOST entry in hobbit-clients.cfg for Windows
machines like so:

HOST=%^win.*
	LOAD 80 95

Thanks for any help - especially help that points me to a document that I
missed in my searching. :)

--
Bill Arlofski
Reverse Polarity, LLC