[hobbit] Monitoring FLEXnet License Manager

michael nemeth michael.nemeth at lmco.com
Wed Jul 9 13:48:01 CEST 2008

OK, not about how to configure Flexlm, need a warning that as the script
stand now might not work as is; that is might not find the license.dat
file. You're right not hard  to find it and you'll be getting error on
running your script, that can't find license.dat .   So user might have
to  add -c .

Trying to understand what this does.
For MatLab host in bb-host:
"10.0.0.10 host.matlab.net # TRENDS:*,flexlm:flexlm|flexlm1|flexlm2|flexlm3 "
Gives graph flexlm and graph flexml1 ?

For Maple host in bb-host:
"10.0.0.111 host.maple.net # TRENDS:*,flexlm:flexlm|flexlm1|flexlm2|flexlm3 "
while this gives only graph flexlm2 ?

Is that correct?

I think Ive TOO many license servers to create graphs for ; 31 but 3 are
MATLAB so I'll haves graph for
thank to you and your fine work   :-)  ! Plus I don't (and can't) have
hobbit clients on mant of them.
I was plannning on "pulling" the  from  non-hobbit clients with lines in
your script like.

/wherethelmstatis -a -c 22777 at mobile2  (my  mathlab host which doesn't have a hobbit client)

  Ive not worked out how I'm going to cycle through some 30 hosts yet!

I'm going to bring up you script tomorrow just for one matlab host . So
then i'll how it works

You don't (at least on the hobbit server) have do for example

$BB $BBDISP "status $MACHINE.ccl $COLOUR `date` $SSTATUS
 you can do:
$BB $BBDISP "status licenses.ccl $COLOUR `date` $SSTATUS

And define in bb-hosts:

0.0.0.0 licenses# noconn

This is where the ccl dot will appear, instead of under $MACHINE
This is what Ive done for my clearcase script (ccl), which I hope to
post to the Shire today.
But my clearcase script  running on my hobbit server so I cannot tell
you for sure if this trick works when
you have client side scripts.

We now use custom scripts  which run every 15 minutes. Produces a html
table with the current use,
last week, last 4 weeks, last 8 weeks, and last 12 weeks
No graphs and no warning if a license is not running except there no
data under current use.

Thank again for you help and flexlm script.  Got me thinking of how to
replace our current system.