FW: [hobbit] Future of Hobbit - Getting added to distro repos

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Thu Jan 31 09:50:04 CET 2008

On Thursday 31 January 2008 02:36:41 Coe, Colin C. (Unix Engineer) wrote:
> Hi all
>
> The rrdtool RPMs are in the Fedora 7/8 Everything repos.  This means
> that the _might_ find their way into RHEL6 providing rrdtool (and all
> its components) are compatible with RedHat.
>
> It's unlikely hobbit would go into RHEL until it's been in Fedora and
> I've had a quick look at the hobbit README and seen that there are four
> components that are not GPLed, this may or may not be a problem for
> RedHat's lawyers.  This post
> (http://www.archivum.info/fedora-extras-list@redhat.com/2005-05/msg00099
> .html) requested a review of hobbit for inclusion in Fedora but looks
> like no one took up the challenge.
>
> Anyway, I've raised tickets 1801320 and 1801322 with RedHat to have
> rrdtool and hobbit included in RHEL5.
>
> I have some experience creating/maintaining RPMs so I'll put my name
> forward for consideration in the interim.

I'd recommend you take a look at my Mandriva package first:

http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/packages/cooker/hobbit/current/

The packages basically have no valid errors from rpmlint, or duplicate files
in distro checks etc (some of which can be seen on my page on one of the
3rd-party package checking tools for Mandriva -
http://youri.zarb.org/demo/mandriva/bgmilne@mandriva.org/rpmcheck.html note
the absence of Hobbit).

Regards,
Buchan