[hobbit] Future of Hobbit

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Thu Jan 24 09:06:46 CET 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 16:09 -0700, Charles Jones wrote:

> That being said, I was stunned today to see someone (Axel Beckert)
> mention that they found Hobbit as a Debian package! I have recently done
> a search and could not find it as part of any distros.

How did you do this search ???
http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=hobbit&submit=Search+... shows my packages for Mandriva 2008.0 and "cooker", however Hobbit has been available in Mandriva since Mandriva 2007.0.

>   Most of the
> servers that I admin are RedHat (EL, CentOS, Fedora),

My Mandriva SRPMS in Mandriva contrib (for Hobbit and devmon) rebuild
fine on every version of RHEL I've tried. I would consider making them
available in my existing package repo
(http://staff.telkomsa.net/packages).

Since "Extras" now get shipped for RHEL ... I might be motivated to
maintain the packages in Fedora as well (in parallel).

>  so I'm not as
> active in the Debian community. I will be grabbing those packages to
> examine them as I'm itching to see what the "apt and lib plugins" are :)

Well, I've got a trivial rhn check (only for RHEL4 and older, will add a
yum one for RHEL5 shortly).

> All that being said, I'm probably getting close to the "too long didn't
> read" limit on this post, so here is a list, totally off the top of my
> head, that I think could help Hobbit in the future.  I don't know
> whether to call them suggestions or feature requests, I'm just thinking
> out loud. Feel free to quash my ideas, or add your own.
>
> 1. Getting Hobbit added to major linux distributions (apparently someone
> has already made it happen for Debian:
> http://packages.debian.org/hobbit).  Whoever did this, please let us
> know so we can thank you!  Lets get it added to Fedora, Centos Plus,
> SunFreeware, etc.

Already in Mandriva. Blastwave (a much better option than SunFreeware
IMHO ... but still not at the level most linux distributions are at
regarding bug trackers etc.) has packages of Hobbit and Devmon for
Solaris 8 and later.

[...]

5) New web interface ? I've been wondering about writing a new web
interface for Hobbit (so it is possible to run without bbgen, and with
no static html files), based on Catalyst (http://catalyst.perl.org/),
supporting more flexible access control, supporting more configuration,
discovery etc.

Regards,
Buchan