[hobbit] Future of Hobbit

Axel Beckert beckert at phys.ethz.ch
Thu Jan 24 20:44:34 CET 2008

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 09:49:30AM -0500, Josh Luthman wrote:
> The thing I see packages being beneficial is if there are a lot of users
> that need an "easier" installation.  If it costs more support time to make
> packages then to drill down the problems with compiling then I could see a
> reason to make packages and update them.

Distribution packages are usually not made by the authors of the
software (often called "upstream", at least in Debian slang :-) but by
package maintainers of the distribution.

In the Debian case, Henrik is the upstream author and Christoph Berg
the package maintainer. No additional work for Henrik, except maybe
more bugreports from more users and OTOH a much easier installation
for a lot of users.

So unless the C code runs on all Unices, nobody has to fear a
Linuxification or more work, but Linux administrators will have less
work installing and especially also maintaining hobbit: no manual
security updates by reinstalling necessary.

		Kind regards, Axel Beckert
--
Axel Beckert <beckert at phys.ethz.ch>       support: +41 44 633 2668
IT Support Group, HPR E 86.1              voice:   +41 44 633 4189