[hobbit] bbwin and remote drives

s_aiello at comcast.net s_aiello at comcast.net
Thu Jan 24 13:20:26 CET 2008

On Thursday 24 January 2008, Rob MacGregor wrote:

> Remember that drives are mapped on a per-user basis.  So, to see
> mapped drives you'll need to have them mapped as the user that's
> running bbwin.

The exception to that, at least under win2003, is to setup a drive mapping via
the "Scheduled Tasks". Under Scheduled Tasks, set the job to run as System
without a password and to run at startup. This will create a Disconnected
Drive mapping, that any logged on user can access. When users access this
drive, their credentials are used, not the local system account.

I had to write a simple vbscript to perform the drive mapping.. needed a 60
second sleep command before drive mapping. Seems that sometimes, system
startup is abit too soon to make drive mappings, hence the sleep.

There are some known issue with mapping to a samba share, haven't fully
figured that out yet.

Just figured this tidbit of information may be of use to others. It took me
some time to figure it out. One of my legacy apps does use UNC, and hence why
this was needed.