[hobbit] Client data - raw data files

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Jan 24 10:28:59 CET 2008

On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 04:24:37PM +0900, Everett, Vernon wrote:
> Just got a strange request.
> One of my colleagues wants to be able to keep the raw data (as accessed
> from the "Client data available" link on most test pages.
> He is looking to keep an archive of at least 3 days.
>
> I see we can set --store-clientlogs for this purpose, but it only keeps
> if there was a change. Is there a setting to keep the lot?

No, but you can easily put together a server-side module to grab the
data from the "client" channel in Hobbit. If you just want to store it
in one large file, then running
   bbcmd hobbitd_channel --channel=client cat >clientlogs.gz
will do it. Pipe it through gzip to save space :-)

If you want to store it in separate files per host or do some other
processing, see the hobbitd_rootlogin.pl script for an example of how to
handle messages from the Hobbit channels.

> How long are those files kept for? How is that specified?

The client logs stored by --store-clientlogs (which is ON by default)
are kept until you delete them. There's no automatic cleanup.