[hobbit] Integrating Hobbit with Ticketing system(s) / Feature Request

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon Jan 14 22:14:33 CET 2008

On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 10:05:24AM -0700, Charles Jones wrote:
> However, in going over the code in my head (I havn't written it yet), I see
> a problem.  I believe that Hobbit is different from BB in that recovery
> pages are not sent with an ID (and I think if you forced it with a script
> the ID is "-1") which makes it impossible to relate them to the origional
> alert.  Is there any simple way that we could have access to this ID
> number, or does Hobbit simply not track it?

Hobbit doesn't track it. The core Hobbit services only knows about hosts
and services - alert handling is a separate utility, and is done
entirely within the hobbitd_alert module. And there is no interface into
the innards of hobbitd_alert.

I can see that some way of identifying an alert - both initially, when the
alert is repeated, and when the issue ends - could be useful, especially
for the task you've taken to integrate it with ticketing systems. The
only unique identity of an event is the combination of
hostname+testname+eventstarttime - this is also persistent throughout
the life of an incident.

So how about stuffing all of this into an MD5 hash value, and use that
as the event ID ?

Patch attached ... applies against the current snapshot, but it can
easily be retrofitted onto the 4.2.0 code.