[hobbit] Re: Conn test problems

Hobbit User in Richmond hobbit at epperson.homelinux.net
Mon Jan 14 18:34:22 CET 2008

Actually, ICMP echo-request and echo-reply packets are almost certainly
not an issue here, nor is packet-filtering/firewalling.  In current
implementations, traceroute by default uses UDP packets to abitrary and
unlikely-to-respond ports, varying the TTL and using the ICMP type 11
(Time Exceeded) from hops along the way to map the routing path.

The manpage in Fedora 8 says "We start our probes with a ttl of one and
increase by one until we...got to the "host", or hit a max (which defaults
to  30  hops)".

So, the behavior you're seeing is as documented.  If a firewall were an
issue in sending/receiving the packets used by traceroute, you'd see the
30-hop behavior whether the host was up or down.