[hobbit] trouble with SCRIPT directive

Haertig, David F (Dave) haertig at avaya.com
Sat Jan 5 18:59:49 CET 2008

You could make a dummy shell script named "trapgen_wrapper" that just
hardcodes the ip address parameter and then calls the real trapgen using
that.  Reference trapgen_wrapper in your hobbit alert config file,
passing it that same bogus_parameter for the recipient (which is
meaningless for your application, but required by Hobbit syntax).

If you don't want to hardcode the ip address in trapgen_wrapper, you
could make trapgen_wrapper parse out the info from the environment
variable "RCPT".

Here's a similar example I use to kill a process.  The SCRIPT directive
in hobbit-alerts.cfg passes this script three parameters, the hostname,
the userid, and a patternmatch for the kill.

SCRIPT kill_script hostname,userid,pattern_to_match

And here's the script that processes the above:

#!/bin/perl
# RCS $Id: kill_script,v 1.3 2007/09/26 15:19:07 hobbit Exp $
#$debug++;      # Comment-out this line for normal operation
($host, $id, $pattern) = split(/,/, $ENV{RCPT}, 3);
exit unless ((defined $host) && (defined $id) && (defined $pattern));
$command = qq!ssh $id\@$host "pkill -f '$pattern'"!;
if ($debug) {
        $command =~ s/pkill/pgrep -l/;
        print `$command`;