[hobbit] Monitor for client TSM-Backup

Kern, Thomas Thomas.Kern at hq.doe.gov
Fri Jan 4 19:23:34 CET 2008

When using the DSMCAD for automatic launching, the logfile is monolithic
and the availability of a timestamp is (I think) a function of which
TSM/client version/release you are using. My client is at the Version 5,
Release 4, Level 1.0 level. Because of previous problems with DSMCAD and
memory leaks (and a DBA who likes backups to run at set times), I have
switched to using CRON to initiate the backups and then I can run each
day's output into its own file as well as a monolithic log for our TSM
admin.

When I was using the DSMCAD scheduler and had timestamps, I used this
kind of a subsetting to get a block of status messages for the email
list and separately for reporting to BigBrother/Hobbit. But it you don't
have date/time stamps on each record, you might have to grab the last
nnnn records after making sure that the dsmsched.log was indeed updated
on the day you expect it to be updated on (today/yesterday, etc).

linux:~/bin # cat tsmrpt
#! /bin/sh

grep  `date '+%m/%d/%y' --date='yesterday'` /var/log/tsm/dsmsched.log \
  | grep --before-context=30 'SCHEDULEREC STATUS END'                 \
  | grep --after-context=30 'SCHEDULEREC STATUS BEGIN'                \
  | mail -s "TSM Backup Statistics" syslog at vm1.hqadmin.doe.gov

/Thomas Kern
/301-903-2211 (O)
/301-905-6427 (M)