Cannot get alerts for message files

Edward Croft ecroft at openratings.com
Wed Jan 2 14:37:07 CET 2008

I am trying to get alerting for message files. I have checked the
archives, but found nothing in there. I have tried various
configurations. The two I have set up with hobbit clients right now are
set up, one as a client with the server controlling, the other as a
client that pushes its info. Neither seems to work. The client set to
push (nodens), does not send any message file data and the indicator
stays clear and the comment says: The client did not report any logfile
data. On the client set so that the server controls (sirona),  there is
information for the logs, but nothing triggers a yellow or red.

No entries in /var/log/messages

No entries in /var/log/secure

Full log /var/log/messages
Jan  2 08:27:03 sirona ecroft: NOTICE

Full log /var/log/secure
Jan  2 07:56:19 sirona sshd[27841]: Connection closed by 10.0.14.249
Jan  2 08:01:20 sirona sshd[27897]: Connection closed by 10.0.14.249
Jan  2 08:06:21 sirona sshd[27943]: Connection closed by 10.0.14.249

The client-local.cfg file on the server has these entries.
[sirona.hq.openratings.com]
log:/var/log/messages:10240
trigger NOTICE
trigger WARNING

log:/var/log/secure:10240
ignore "Connection closed by"
trigger BREAKIN

[nodens.hq.openratings.com]
log:/var/log/messages:10240
trigger NOTICE

log:/var/log/secure:10240
ignore "Connection closed by"
trigger BREAKIN

The hobbit-clients.cfg file on the server has:
HOST=sirona.hq.openratings.com
        LOG %.* WARNING COLOR=yellow
        LOG %.* NOTICE COLOR=red

HOST=nodens.hq.openratings.com
        LOG %.* WARNING COLOR=yellow
        LOG %.* NOTICE COLOR=red

DEFAULT
        # These are the built-in defaults.
        #LOG %.* WARNING COLOR=yellow
        LOG %.* WARNING COLOR=yellow
        LOG %.* NOTICE COLOR=red
        UP      1h
        LOAD    5.0 10.0
        DISK    * 91 95
        MEMPHYS 100 101
        MEMSWAP 50 80
        MEMACT  90 97
        PROC    cron

On nodens I have in the client-local.cfg
[nodens.hq.openratings.com]
log:/var/log/messages:10240
trigger NOTICE
#ignore MARK

log:/var/log/secure:10240
ignore Martian
trigger BREAKIN
#trigger TESTING

And in the localclient.cfg
HOST=nodens.hq.openratings.com
       PROC cron
       DISK /data1 96 99
       LOG /var/log/messages NOTICE COLOR=red
       LOG /var/log/secure BREAKIN COLOR=red
       LOG /var/log/messages WARNING COLOR=yellow

DEFAULT
        # These are the built-in defaults.
        UP      1h
        LOAD    5.0 10.0
        DISK    * 90 95
        MEMPHYS 100 101
        MEMSWAP 50 80
        MEMACT  90 97
       LOG /var/log/messages NOTICE COLOR=red
       LOG /var/log/secure BREAKIN COLOR=red

clientlaunch.cfg on nodens is:
[msgcache]
        DISABLED
        ENVFILE $HOBBITCLIENTHOME/etc/hobbitclient.cfg
        CMD $HOBBITCLIENTHOME/bin/msgcache --no-daemon --pidfile=
$HOBBITCLIENTHOME/logs/msgcache.pid
        LOGFILE $HOBBITCLIENTHOME/logs/msgcache.log

# The main client task
[client]
        ENVFILE $HOBBITCLIENTHOME/etc/hobbitclient.cfg
        CMD $HOBBITCLIENTHOME/bin/hobbitclient.sh --local
        LOGFILE $HOBBITCLIENTHOME/logs/hobbitclient.log
        INTERVAL 5m

# ORCA data collector. This is an experimental add-on module,
# the data sent by this module are not processed by Hobbit 4.2.
[orcadata]
        DISABLED
        ENVFILE $HOBBITCLIENTHOME/etc/hobbitclient.cfg
        CMD $HOBBITCLIENTHOME/bin/orcahobbit
--orca=/usr/local/orca/orcallator
        LOGFILE $HOBBITCLIENTHOME/logs/hobbitclient.log