Monitoring Backups

Joshua Johnson joshua at stenhouseconsulting.com
Tue Feb 26 22:45:00 CET 2008

Hello All,

We have several client sites with servers that run backups which we would like to monitor in Hobbit. We are not running the BBWin client on most of these servers and would like to avoid going that route. Instead the servers send email alerts to a mailbox on our Exchange 2007 server (x64). Our current plan is to write a script that will look at the incoming emails and trigger events in Hobbit based on the content of the email. We will also trigger alerts if we don't get email for X amount of time. Below are the two potential methods I have found.

1)      Install BBWin on the Exchange server and have the alerts sent by the script that processes the emails using BBWinCmd. Not sure if this is even possible or is it possible without using BBWinCmd? The documentation says that BBWin is a diag/test tool. Can we use the hostname parameter to specify which BB-Hosts entry this message should apply to (I think yes)? I know BBWin is not fully working on x64 so this option is probably not a good idea until then, however, in the long term it seems preferred over method 2 below.

2)      Have the Exchange server script send files (ftp or SMB) to the Hobbit server. These files will then be processed by a server side script which could use bbhostgrep to check the files and send the alerts into Hobbit.

I figure we are not the first to try and do something like this so any other experiences or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh