FW: [hobbit] Future of Hobbit - Getting added to distro repos

s_aiello at comcast.net s_aiello at comcast.net
Fri Feb 1 13:54:59 CET 2008

I have been watching this thread for binaries for different linux Distros for
awhile. About a few months back I started initial implementation of
clientupdate. With clientupdate, all linux distibutions boil down to 'linux'
OS. So if there are multiple linux distros being monitored, or same distro
but different versions, wouldn't this lead to complication with
clientupdate ? Because that same tar will be pushed out to
everything 'linux'. The way I dealt with this issue, is that my hobbit tar
was compiled statically. Ideally the binaries have all the dependencies
compiled in. So it should work on any linux distro.

So multiple distro packages are nice, but is there a problem when updates need
to be pushed ? Or did I just miss something obvious ?

 ~Steve