[hobbit] timed alerts

Torsten Richter bb4 at richter-it.net
Fri Dec 12 00:49:42 CET 2008

Hi Henrik,

thanks for the answers.

Henrik Størner wrote:
> In <49403EA2.7090906 at richter-it.net> Torsten Richter <bb4 at richter-it.net> writes:
>
>> is it possible with Hobbit 4.2.0 to time alerts?
>> I was asked this by colleagues. They want something that
>> if a yellow alert is displayed for more than a configurable
>> time that Hobbit/XYmon sets the state of this alert to red.
>
> Not possible today. It has not come up until now, but it's
> an interesting idea.

It was just a thought since Hobbit/XYmon is recording everything
with a timestamp and this timestamp "just" needs to be evaluated.

> I guess some people would also like a status to go blue if
> it's been red for more than a day :-)

Please don't say that as it might be possible that my colleagues
are reading this mailing list too and then they are going to tease
me about integrating this kind of stuff :-/

>> Second question: I have Hobbit server set up with centralised
>> configuration. But some of the clients are running with local
>> configuration. What do I have to do to monitor the log files
>> like /var/log/messages on this client or check for the existence
>> of certain files.
>> At the moment I have the entries
>
>> "LOG /var/log/messages error" and "FILE /somedir/core NOEXIST" in
>> localclient.cfg on the client and also on the server in
>> hobbit-clients.cfg. But nothing is monitored.
>

> Off the top of my head (meaning: I haven't tried it) I would think
> that you need to put something like
>   log:/var/log/messages:10240
> into ~hobbit/client/tmp/logfetch.cfg . The "10240" is the max amount
> of logdata to send to the Hobbit server (in kB).

More or less it was right. I needed to create a logfetch.`uname -n`.cfg
in ~hobbit/client/tmp and put the following lines in it to make it work:

log:/var/log/messages/10240
ignore MARK
file:/somedir/core

After that everything went fine.

> Regards,
> Henrik

Thanks a lot for your help and the excellent work on this monitoring
solution.

Regards
Torsten
- --
| Richter IT-Consulting					  |
| E-mail  : bb4 [at] richter-it.net			  |
| Homepage: http://www.richter-it.net/			  |
Download my public key from:
http://www.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x899093AC