[hobbit] JBOSS app server monitoring

Suvra_Chakraborty Suvra_Chakraborty at Satyam.com
Thu Aug 21 10:59:45 CEST 2008

Hi Steve,

I have a plugin for jboss in JAVA for Hyperic.....Its coded in JAVA.... I extracted and saw that....

Can u modify or help me in this regards of how to use with Hobbit

Regards
Suvra

From: sholmes42 at gmail.com [mailto:sholmes42 at gmail.com] On Behalf Of Steve Holmes
Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2008 8:06 PM
To: hobbit at hswn.dk
Subject: Re: [hobbit] JBOSS app server monitoring

Suvra,

I don't know of any plugin or addon to hobbit for monitoring a JBOSS app server, and I don't know enough about JBOSS to tell you how, but if you can write a shell script or C (or C#, Java, PHP, PERL, etc) that gets the info out of the server you can plug that into Hobbit. If you do, I'm sure there would be others who would like to make use of your work.

For example: we have a cluster of websphere servers. I don't know anything about websphere, but we wanted to get an alert when a percentage of the servers in the cluster were not responding (it happens way too often and impacts our work). The cluster is behind a load balancer so we can't get to the individual servers directly (they are administered by another group). We have several labs full of workstations which we do have control over. One of our PERL programmers wrote a script which runs on the lab workstations that updates a flag in the webserver database.  One of our Java programmers wrote a little program that queries the database to find out what time each workstation last updated that flag. I wrote a shell script that causes the workstations to run the PERL program every 15 minutes (via cron), and a shell script that hobbit runs which runs the java program and compares the flag times with the current time. If more than a certain percent of the flag times are more than 15 minutes out of date I sent a yellow or red message to the hobbit server. At one point I had Hobbit configured to send an email alert to the websphere admin group :-), but they didn't like that, so now our group gets the alert and we have to call the websphere admin group :-(.

Steve.
ITaP/TLT/Unix Systems Administration