[hobbit] RRD Graphing configuration

Darren.Cotton at ses-engineering.com Darren.Cotton at ses-engineering.com
Mon Aug 11 19:13:24 CEST 2008

You need to retune the rrd file - using rrdtune (rrdtool tune....)

http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/doc/rrdtune.en.html

rrdtool tune /var/lib/hobbit/rrd/$host$/testgraph.rrd --heartbeat
test1total:60 --heartbeat test2total:60 --heartbeat test3total:60

Normally I would expect the Average to be OK - maybe your graphs are
spurious due to the heartbeat being incorrect.

Darren Cotton

             "Bill Richardson"
             <wrichardson at llbe
             an.com>                                                    To
                                       <hobbit at hswn.dk>
             11/08/2008 18:04                                           cc

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         [hobbit] RRD Graphing configuration
              hobbit at hswn.dk

I have looked high and low for a way to change how custom rrd's are created
in hobbit.

I have created a custom script to graph and have 2 problems that I would
like to figure out.

1.) I would like to change the step from 300 secs to 60 secs in the rrd's
and run the script ever 60 secs instead of 300 secs. "The default rrd
behavior is set to 300 secs"
2.) I would like to get the true values not average. The problem is I have
data that I want to graph that can range from 0 to 5  "thats 0, 1, 2, 3, 4
or 5" and the graph shows average so my graphs come out with numbers like
6m "6 milli" for a true value of 2 and so on. The problem is the data will
sit a 0 for an hour or more and then go to 1 or 2 for just one sample.
Average is not the right choice and I cant get the true figures I 'm
looking for.

 Seems like the way to do this is in the hobbitserver.cfg. I added the
following to the hobbitserver.cfg

NCV_testgraph="test1total:GAUGE,test2total:GAUGE,test3total:GAUGE"

What other values can you pass to rrd other than GAUGE? Can I set a step to
say 60 instead or 300 and can I change the default behavior of AVERAGE to
something else that may work for my above example? The rrd docs are not
clear on this.

Early on I was thinking that maybe I could fix the AVERAGE problem with a
change to the hobbitgraph.cfg but this is what I found:
The hobbitgraph.cfg does not have any effect on how rrd file is created. I
deleted the testgraph.rrd made the changes to hobbitgraph.cfg and no go.
You cant see the graphs if you use anything but AVERAGE after changing the
hobbitgraph.cfg. It looks like the *.rrd's are created by default "AVERAGE"
and you just edit the hobbitgraph.cfg to view whats already built. I need
to figure out how to change the way the rrd's are built and its not thru
the hobbitgraph.cfg.

BTW here is the output from rrdtool dump see attached.

You will see two areas that need to be changed "the step 300 and AVERAGE"
1:

<step> 300 </step> <!-- Seconds -->

2:

<!-- Round Robin Archives --> <rra>

<cf> AVERAGE </cf>

Thanks for any clues... : )

Bill Richardson

DISCLAIMER:
This e-mail contains proprietary information some or all of which may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print, or rely on this e-mail.