RRD Graphing configuration

Galen Johnson Galen.Johnson at sas.com
Mon Aug 11 18:37:39 CEST 2008

SigurĂ°ur GuĂ°brandsson<mailto:sigurdur at raforninn.is> wrote a pretty detailed tutorial on what he through setting up a custom graph that I put up on The Shire's tutorial page.

=G=

From: Bill Richardson [mailto:wrichardson at llbean.com]
Sent: Monday, August 11, 2008 9:54 AM
To: hobbit at hswn.dk
Subject: [hobbit] RRD Graphing configuration

I have looked high and low for a way to change how custom rrd's are created in hobbit.

I have created a custom script to graph and have 2 problems that I would like to figure out.

1.) I would like to change the step from 300 secs to 60 secs in the rrd's and run the script ever 60 secs instead of 300 secs. "The default rrd behavior is set to 300 secs"
2.) I would like to get the true values not average. The problem is I have data that I want to graph that can range from 0 to 5  "thats 0, 1, 2, 3, 4  or 5" and the graph shows average so my graphs come out with numbers like 6m "6 milli" for a true value of 2 and so on. The problem is the data will sit a 0 for an hour or more and then go to 1 or 2 for just one sample. Average is not the right choice and I cant get the true figures I 'm looking for.

 Seems like the way to do this is in the hobbitserver.cfg. I added the following to the hobbitserver.cfg

NCV_testgraph="test1total:GAUGE,test2total:GAUGE,test3total:GAUGE"

What other values can you pass to rrd other than GAUGE? Can I set a step to say 60 instead or 300 and can I change the default behavior of AVERAGE to something else that may work for my above example? The rrd docs are not clear on this.

Early on I was thinking that maybe I could fix the AVERAGE problem with a change to the hobbitgraph.cfg but this is what I found:
The hobbitgraph.cfg does not have any effect on how rrd file is created. I deleted the testgraph.rrd made the changes to hobbitgraph.cfg and no go. You cant see the graphs if you use anything but AVERAGE after changing the hobbitgraph.cfg. It looks like the *.rrd's are created by default "AVERAGE" and you just edit the hobbitgraph.cfg to view whats already built. I need to figure out how to change the way the rrd's are built and its not thru the hobbitgraph.cfg.

BTW here is the output from rrdtool dump see attached.

You will see two areas that need to be changed "the step 300 and AVERAGE"
1:

<step> 300 </step> <!-- Seconds -->

2:

<!-- Round Robin Archives --> <rra>