[hobbit] Don't make the pie higher!

Everett, Vernon Vernon.Everett at woodside.com.au
Wed Aug 6 08:47:12 CEST 2008

Hi all

I sent this the other day, but somehow, the formatting got all garbled,
so I doubt anybody took any notice of it.

I did a bit of thinking about names.

Precog       - see Minority Report (the movie)
AWAC         - See military refereces
Horus        - See All-seeing Eye of Horus
Panoptes     - See Argus Panoptes of greek mythology (Peacock as new
logo)
MPM          - Multi-Platform Monitor (and a nice play on MOM -
Microsoft's abortion)
Aprilicus    - A series of spy satellites
Almaz        - Russian military (spy) satellites. Almaz also means
diamond - reference to Hobbit icons?

Now here's something else interesting I stumbled upon while random
browsing Wikipedia In the early
stellar cults of Mesopotamia there were four "royal" Stars (known as
Lords) which were called the
"watchers".
Each one of these stars "ruled" over one of the four cardinal points
common to Astrology.
This particular system would date from approximately 3000 BC.

The star Aldebaran, when it marked the Vernal Equinox, held the position
of Watcher of the East.
Regulus, marking the Summer Solstice, was Watcher of the South.
Antares, marking the Autumn Equinox, was Watcher of the West.
Fomalhaut, marking the Winter Solstice, was Watcher of the North.

In the star myths the "watchers" themselves were depicted as gods who
guarded the Heavens and the Earth. Their nature, as well as their
"rank", was altered by the successive lunar and solar cults that
replaced the older stellar cults.
Any of those could be  a  good  name.

And if we want to stick with fantasy characters, how about one form the
game Star Control II / The Ur-Quan Masters?
Arilou.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariloulaleelay#Arilou
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariloulaleelay>

Any other ideas?
Cheers
Vernon

NOTICE: This email and any attachments are confidential.
They may contain legally privileged information or
copyright material. You must not read, copy, use or
disclose them without authorisation. If you are not an
intended recipient, please contact us at once by return
email and then delete both messages and all attachments.