[hobbit] Best way to do interface graphs?

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Fri Apr 18 14:37:41 CEST 2008

On Thursday 17 April 2008 21:37:21 Stewart L wrote:
> so, I have a number of routers and switches.  I want to graph interface
> utilization and errors for them.
>
> What is the best way to do that?

I am graphing all the interfaces on our 6 Cisco 6500 switches (another 2 by
next week), 2 7600s, a 7200 router, and 4 PIX firewall pairs (6 other pairs
need IOS upgrades before they will have any interface data to graph) with
devmon, using the devmon rrd collector module shipped as a patch in the
0.3.0. final release.

$ ls /var/lib/hobbit/rrd/*/if_load*.rrd|wc -l
1487

I am not currently graphing errors, but it should be relatively easy. Add the
rrd option to the table in the message file for the test,
add  'if_err=devmon' to TEST2RRD (you should kill the hobbitd_rrd to get it
to restart with this environment variable updated), and create a graph
configuration for if_err (would be relatively similar to the one for if_load
shipped in extras/devmon-graph.cfg).

I am actually more interested in adding graphs for discards on the firewall
templates (as our internet-facing firewall has quite a high discard rate).

I have some other changes to make to the templates, so if error and discard
graphs are of interest to others, I can probably get a new template release
out pretty soon.

Regards,
Buchan