[hobbit] sms alert sample script - good solution?

Phil Wild philwild at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 18:21:59 CEST 2008

Hi Oliver,

Have a good read of the man pages around hobbit-alert. You do not need to
involve email when sending messages at all and probably the most reliable
method is with an attached GSM modem. It is much faster than analogue
dialing a messaging provider.

We use two gsm modems attached to two independent hobbit servers in two data
centres connected to two different mobile providers. We have hobbit
monitoring the messaging queues and have failover in place, if a message
fails to get out via one provider after a number of retries, it is
transferred to the other server.

We have also planned to set up a ping test via sms where one modem sms's the
other but it has fallen off the bottom of our todo list as the current
configuration has proven to be very stable...

It would be nice though if the modem hardware was more stable, regular
restarts when they hang (wavenet modems). Can't say other brands are better
and the monitoring and scripting has made them reliable enough so that we
don't need to replace them and start again...

Your carrier may also be able to provide a status message feature where you
receive back an sms once your message has entered the recipients phone
(extra messaging cost and no guarantee they will read it of course but then
that is what escalation is for). I am sure it would be possible to script a
confirmation check and retry on the other network if you really wanted to
guarantee the message got to the phone...

Cheers

Phil