[hobbit] How to monitor this Internet public IP of internal FTP server

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Wed Apr 2 14:53:11 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 02 April 2008 14:21:32 casedj wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We have an internal FTP server that's NATed via Cisco's PIX firewall, so it
> has a Internet public IP and offers public access.
>
> But some people complain that FTP server is not stable. Depending on
> internal access (to its internal IP of FTP server), it seems ok. But we
> can't access its Internet public IP from internal network.
>
> There maybe several possible causes, e.g. carrier's line quality, DNS
> resolution, etc. We want to monitor its Internet public IP of FTP server to
> check what the root cause is, how?

Determining a root cause is distinct from monitoring a service from the
internet, which is also distinct from testing a service on a public vs a
private IP address.

For example, we monitor services both on internal IP address, and on public
IPs (the monitoring server is NAT'd behind our firewall, and can monitor the
NAT'd services).

If people are interested in a hosted hobbit monitor (bbtest-net) for
monitoring their services from the internet (and reporting to your own hobbit
display) ... I would consider providing such a service (at a cost of
course ...).

Regards,
Buchan