[hobbit] What happens to client data after handoff?

Matthew Tice mjtice at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 19:56:20 CEST 2008

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 11:22 AM, Galen Johnson <Galen.Johnson at sas.com>
wrote:

>  Is this a custom script or one of Hobbit's OOB (out of the box)
> monitors?  If it's custom, you either have to parse the data yourself to
> generate the RRDs or set up an NCV to handle it for you.

It's a custom script.  I also needed to add it to the test2rrd line in
hobbitserver.cfg.  My concern is this, if a custom test isn't doing what it
should it seems it's a lot of guess work trying to figure out what is
happening.  I've been setting up custom tests sporadically for over two
years and I still get mixed up.  It would be nice if I knew exactly the
chain of operations that is taking place when the server receives a message
from a client e.g. the client runs this command (e.g.
/home/hobbit/client/bin/bb --debug 127.0.0.1 "data tice.blocked `cat
/blocks.txt`") and then the server runs such and such command.  That way I
could manually run things to find out where it's failing.  If this info is
documented somewhere please point me in the right direction.  I'll look
through the man pages but it's easy to get lost in there.

Thanks for the info.

Matt