[hobbit] trap column not showing up

FARRIOR, Andy Andy.Farrior at victoriacollege.edu
Tue Sep 18 15:17:07 CEST 2007

The trap column will only display the last alert it receives.  If a trap
for a particular host hasn't been generated within Hobbit's "no response
from client" window, the trap column will be set to "green".  This is to
keep the column from going "purple".

If three traps for a given host are processed, it will only display the
color of the last trap.  If you are just using Hobbit, it will log any
color changes.  If you are using the SQL logging in SNMPTT, you'll have
a history of SNMP traps.

So if you receive these traps in sequence:
  green
  red
  green

The trap column will update with the first "green" status.  It will turn
"red" and send an alert when it receives the second status.  The trap
column will turn back to green when it receives the last status.

It's very possible that when you go to check on Hobbit after receiving
an alert for the "red" status, that the column will have changed back to
"green" assuming the last trap happened shortly after the second trap.

There's no intelligence in the trap.pl client that checks the status of
the previous alert or the type of previous alert (you can receive two
different traps in sequence that are "red" or CRITICAL) to determine if
it should update the status or not.  You have to rely on the SQL logging
if you want to see that since it logs every alert individually.

Andy