[hobbit] Looking for external monitors for Windows Media Server, VLC and Darwin Streaming Server

Dugan, Darin D [EIT] dddugan at iastate.edu
Thu Sep 13 22:08:31 CEST 2007

You piqued my interest a bit, as I have a Windows Media Services box that I should be monitoring more closely. Trend data would be extremely useful as well. So after learning that I couldn't just query WMI, I started writing an external WMS test in C# that checks the server status and grabs some performance data. It's not quite ready for prime time yet, but I'm willing to share.

Conveniently WMS reports a status of running, error or error critical, so I'm flagging these as green, yellow and red. In the case of yellow or red I try to grab additional error data. In addition to the status I'm grabbing four counters: connected players, streaming players, allocated bandwidth and total bytes sent. These may or may not be the best things to trend...what are you interested in following? I'm trying my hand at graphs now....