[hobbit] Graphing number of references to iptables chain

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Sep 5 07:58:36 CEST 2007

On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 03:37:09PM +1000, Allan wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone has done or has seen a way of being able to
> graph the number of references to an iptables chain ?
> 'iptables -L spammer' returns currently for example
>
> # iptables -L spammer
> Chain spammer (2269 references)
> LOG        all  --  anywhere             anywhere            LOG level
> debug prefix `Spammer: '
> DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere
>

> Unfortunately I have zero skills when it comes to rrd and the like so
> I'm looking for something similar I can change to suit or for someone to
> be really generous and help me out.

Run a Hobbit client-side script that does:

   #!/bin/sh
   REFCOUNT=`iptables -L spammer | grep "^Chain spammer" | awk '{print $3}'|cut -c2-`

   $BB $BBDISP "status $MACHINE.spammers green `date`

   references: $REFCOUNT
   "

   exit 0

This generates a "spammers" status with the number from the "references"
line in the iptables output. On the Hobbit server you then feed this
through the "ncv" module - see the description in the "Custom graphs"
help page on your Hobbit server or here:
http://www.hswn.dk/hobbit/help/howtograph.html