[hobbit] Strange "problem" with refreshes

Haertig, David F (Dave) haertig at avaya.com
Fri Oct 26 03:11:06 CEST 2007

I'm guessing that this has to do with cached vs. non-cached content, or
broweser/proxy mishandling of said content.  Many things come into play.
If you're not running Hobbit on the same webserver as BB, then there
could be Apache config differences.  Are you going through a proxy?
Those might cache too.  You browser caches as well.  Different browsers
do it differently.  Are you looking at an .html page (static, may be
cached) or a CGI page (shouldn't be cached, but I've seen proxies do it
non-the-less).  Even Hobbit itself could come into play (theoretically,
but I haven't looked at the source).  Hobbit might be sending out
different metadata, pragmas, etc. in the HTML it generates that is
causing your refresh differences from the way BB generated the HTML.

You refresh is coming from the following which you'll find in Hobbit
HTML on some pages (not all):

<META HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" CONTENT="60">

I do not know if you can reconfigure Hobbit to omit that.  Or, you can
use something like Proxomitron (a local proxy) to dynamically remove the
meta-refreshes from the source as your browser downloads it.  But theses
methods would take out all your refreshes - even when you might want
them.

I used to have much more trouble with BB jumping around on refreshes
than I have with Hobbit now.  But I have so many different things in my
setup that I couldn't even compare (different browser, different local
OS, different server OS, different version of Apache - you name it!)