[hobbit] Fail over?

T.J. Yang tj_yang at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 24 19:44:13 CEST 2007

Isn't a proxy is another SPF (Single point of failure) ?

T.J. Yang

________________________________
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 12:23:20 -0400
From: paulehr at gmail.com
To: hobbit at hswn.dk
Subject: Re: [hobbit] Fail over?

That sounds like an interesting idea to use squid to load balance between the two servers. I need to do something similar in our lab and been trying to figure out the best way to do it.

On 10/24/07, Josh Luthman <josh at imaginenetworksllc.com> wrote:
I believe you could use something like a proxy (Squid maybe?) for clients to connect to and then use one or the other.  I'm not familiar at all with squid itself so I may be completely off, but a load balancer does sound like an option.

On 10/24/07, T.J. Yang < tj_yang at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 22:02:34 +0200
> From: henrik at hswn.dk
> To: hobbit at hswn.dk
> Subject: Re: [hobbit] Fail over?
>
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 02:18:16PM -0400, Stewart L wrote:
>> So, how are others doing this? I have a server set up here in my
>> primary data center. We're monitoring a few thousand hosts right now
>> with a large number of custom externals.
>>
>> I've been tasked with setting up a fail-over or disaster response
>> server in case our primary data center has issues. All of our clients
>> are currently configured to send their messages to the IP address of
>> our primary server.
>>
>> Now, I could just copy the bb-hosts file to the DR site, but then I
>> would only get the network tests since the clients all report to the
>> primary.
>
> I run two completely separate systems in parallel, and have the clients
> report to both of them. The system at our disaster center has the paging
> module disabled (just disable the [bbpage] section in hobbitlaunch.cfg),
> to avoid double alerts - it is simple to activate it, if necessary.

I was thinking of using Sun Cluster(hb on Solaris) or HeartBeat(hb on Linux) but
then how can I configure the Cluster solution to failover from one site(Florida) to another(NewYork) ?

I believe this setup is the most simple failover solution at the only expense of extra
network bandwidth usgage to the secondary hb server.

tj

> Config files are rsync'ed from the primary site to the disaster site
> regularly.
>

> Regards,
> Henrik

> hobbit-unsubscribe at hswn.dk

Boo! Scare away worms, viruses and so much more! Try Windows Live OneCare! Try now!

--
Josh Luthman
Office: 937-552-2340

--- Henry Spencer