[hobbit] Backing up hobbit

Martin Flemming martin.flemming at desy.de
Fri Oct 19 09:22:17 CEST 2007

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007, Stef Coene wrote:
> > Would it be safe for me to delete these core files and start working on
> > this task from this day forward?  What can I use to read these core files?
> > I noticed they're not text files so I assume there is some bb utility to
> > read them.  With the exception of these core* files, I would expect Hobbit
> > to peak at 200MB which I could do in a ~3 minutes
> You can delete the core files, but you should also try to find out why the are
> created.  If you use rsync, you can exclude these core files from being
> rsync'd

.. and you can check "why they crashed" with

http://www.hswn.dk/hobbit/help/known-issues.html#bugreport

# If one of the Hobbit tools crashes and leaves a core-file (usually in
the ~hobbit/server/tmp/ directory), please use the gdb tool to pinpoint
where the crash occurred:

    * Login as the Hobbit user
    * $ cd ~/server
      $ gdb bin/PROGRAMFILE tmp/COREFILE
      then at the gdb> prompt, execute the command
      gdb> bt

Cheers,

       Martin