AIX Hobbit Client Update - Tar Error

Kapildev Khemraj khemdev at bc.edu
Thu Oct 4 01:13:11 CEST 2007

Hi,

Hobbit newbie here.  I am having issues with the clientupdate on some AIX systems.  Some of the AIX systems have the following error message in hobbitclient.log:

/opt/freeware/bin/tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
/opt/freeware/bin/tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
2007-10-03 19:02:14 Upgrade failed, tar exited with status 512

The clientupdate is working on other AIX boxes.  This is occurring on some AIX 5.2 and 5.3.  The tar that is used to update with is good because another AIX box is successfully updating with it.  I tried re-creating the tar, but that did not help.

Any insight on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dev.