[hobbit] Summary/Total data from several hosts

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Oct 3 13:06:33 CEST 2007

On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 11:36:49AM +0200, Darren.Cotton at ses-astra.com wrote:

> I have 5 hosts on which I have script monitoring connected users. This is
> then sent to hobbit and as a result I have 5 separate entries which I then
> want to total on the server.
>
> Currently I am parsing the tmp file to get the number of users as follows:

I'd use the hobbitdboard query against the server:

DSLGWS="^server[12345]\$"
RESULT=0
bb 127.0.0.1 "hobbitdboard host=${DSLGWS} test=pusers fields=msg" | \
while read L
do
	NBUSERS=...whatever is needed to grab the number...
	RESULT=`expr $RESULT + $NBUSERS`
done

Grabbing data from the checkpoint file suffers from the fact that by
default it is only updated once every 15 minutes, so it takes a long
time for changes to filter through to that file. By using the
hobbitdboard command, you always get the latest data that Hobbit has.