[hobbit] Hobbit Average Data

Sloan joe at tmsusa.com
Mon Nov 26 21:57:21 CET 2007

James Wade wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I’ve got some folks here that want to keep data all the time.
>
> ie… They don’t want to use a Round Robin Database that averages
>
> the data over time. They want the 5 minute data forever.
>

> I know we can get into a debate as to the reality of this, but
>
> it’s want the performance team here wants. If hobbit can’t do it,
>
> they want me to use sar and input to another database.
>

> Is there a way to do this with Hobbit?
>

> Anyone else had this come up?

I went through an exercise  several years ago, where I  made some tweaks
to big brother to log alerts to a mysql database, in addition to the
other alerting mechanisms. I declared it a success, and then forgot
about it since management wasn't really interested in the solution,
since they were not aware of any problem.  At any rate, it was fairly
quick and easy to whip up something with perl and DBI.

Joe