[hobbit] hobbit-newbie

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Mon Nov 19 11:43:33 CET 2007

On Saturday 17 November 2007 02:20:10 Perumal, Santoshbabu wrote:
> Hi hobbit guru's
>
>    please advise on the following questions
>
>      1)Is there any way to monitor disk i/o utilization using
> hobbit?(Also i/o graph).if yes please let me know the details

An rrd file with vmstat data is generated by default if the hobbit client is
running on the relevant server. For disk IO, I think you want vmstat5, if you
want a graph to appear with this information in the trends page, add
something like this at the end of the line for the server in bb-hosts:

TRENDS:*,vmstat:vmstat|vmstat1|vmstat5

A quick way to see the graph is to click on the "CPU Utilization" graph on the
trends page, and in the URL, change "service=vmstat" to "service=vmstat5".

>      2)some hobbit clients does not provide all the informations.it
> displays only conn,info,trends(tcp graph only).it does not provide
> disk,cpu,msg memory.is thi because of firewall issue.client has to
> communicate to the server on port 1984 or server has to communicate to
> the client 1984.Without opening firewall port is there any way to let
> the client communicate to the server on 1984.

You can use the pulldata option, after enabling the msgcache task on the
client, in this case the hobbit server will connect to the client on port
1984, where msgcache is running, and request the data the client last
reported there (it connects to localhost ..).

>       3)how to change http time out value.by default it is 10s right?.
>            my entries in the bb-hosts file
>          ipaddress     www.sitename.com  # http://www.sitename.com  (is
> there any option that we can specify here)

I think you can only do it globally in the commandline options for bbnet. See
the relevant man pages for details.

Regards,
Buchan