[hobbit] fallback alert service

White, Bruce bewhite at fellowes.com
Wed Nov 14 19:01:27 CET 2007

Since you can provide your own script for alerts, there is no reason you
can't build the needed fallback logic into that custom script. Something
like:

if [ first service down ];then
   use second service to send alert
else
   use first service to send alert.
fi

I just finished customizing my alert script to allow a single code as the
person getting an alert and then within the script, redirect the alert to
the person from our help desk who happens to have the 7x24 duty this week.
In this way we don't need to have a single pager which gets passed from
person to person and sometimes gets lost.   The on-call people only need to
run a script on the hobbit server to change the info for who is on-call.
The script they run also sends a notice to the person now getting the
alerts, so they can verify the pages are working to the new person.

        ......Bruce

   _____