[hobbit] Creating a fake, or combination, client

Gary Baluha gumby3203 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 21:51:58 CET 2007

On 11/6/07, Andy France <Andy at zespri.com> wrote:

>  Hi Martin,
>
> I do a similar thing with our Citrix servers, where I have a "Farm" host
> to hold a summary of the total number of connections across all servers.
>
> I do this by running a script from hobbitlaunch on the server, and summing
> up the results of the individual Citrix servers using hobbitdboard.  After
> parsing the results, I send a single message for the "Farm" host in the same
> format as the individual host messages and Hobbit magically makes the graph
> for me :-)

If you want to reuse the data in the existing RRD files, assuming a symlink
to them works as I previously described, you can probably just create a
script similar to below and have it output a dummy value.  The main purpose
of the script would then just be to associate a column with the dummy host,
that you can then build a graph for using existing RRD files.

It's not too flash, but here are all the bits and pieces which make it