[hobbit] Creating a fake, or combination, client

Andy France Andy at zespri.com
Tue Nov 6 21:43:49 CET 2007

Hi Martin,

I do a similar thing with our Citrix servers, where I have a "Farm" host
to hold a summary of the total number of connections across all servers.

I do this by running a script from hobbitlaunch on the server, and
summing up the results of the individual Citrix servers using
hobbitdboard.  After parsing the results, I send a single message for
the "Farm" host in the same format as the individual host messages and
Hobbit magically makes the graph for me :-)

It's not too flash, but here are all the bits and pieces which make it
work.  I hope they may help you in making a similar script for a postfix
farm.

BB-HOSTS ENTRIES :

	127.0.0.1       citrix-farm    # COMMENT:"Farm Totals" testip
noconn noinfo notrends
	192.168.1.101   citrix-01      #
	192.168.1.102   citrix-02      #

SHELL SCRIPT /opt/hobbit/bin/citrix-totals.sh :

	#!/bin/sh

	TFIL=/tmp/`basename $0`.$$

	/opt/hobbit/server/bin/bb localhost "hobbitdboard
host=citrix-[0-9][0-9] test=citrix fields=msg" | gsed 's/\\n/\n/g' >
${TFIL}

	LINE=`grep -v 'users active' ${TFIL}`

	CSUM=`grep "users active" ${TFIL} | awk ' { sum += $1; } END {
print sum; } '`

	if [ -z "${CSUM}" ]
	then
	        CSUM=0
	fi

	/opt/hobbit/server/bin/bb localhost "status citrix-farm.citrix
green `date`

	${CSUM} users active

	${LINE}"

	rm ${TFIL}

HOBBITLAUNCH.CFG ENTRY:

	[citrix-totals]
	        ENVFILE /opt/hobbit/server/etc/hobbitserver.cfg
	        NEEDS hobbitd
	        CMD /opt/hobbit/bin/citrix-totals.sh
	        LOGFILE $BBSERVERLOGS/logs/citrix-totals.log
	        INTERVAL 5m

The paths for the binaries etc would obviously need massaging to suit
your installation.  Good luck!

Andy.