[hobbit] Creating a fake, or combination, client

Gary Baluha gumby3203 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 16:34:29 CET 2007

On 11/6/07, Ward, Martin <Martin.Ward at colt.net> wrote:

>  Hi all,
>
> I am a newbie to Hobbit and have inherited a working system. I have a good
> idea of how it all hangs together but now I want to produce certain graphs
> and cannot figure out how.
>
> I have a cluster of mail servers that run Postfix; each of these clients
> is monitored within Hobbit. In the Trends link for each client I have graphs
> showing the various mail queues (incoming, deferred etc) and this data is
> stored in RRD files on the Hobbit server.
>
> Is there a way within Hobbit of creating a false or meta- client that can
> have a graph with data from all of these RRD files? Particularly I would
> like a graph that has all the incoming mail queue sizes on it with one line
> per server. I already have this information in lots of different RRD files
> but would like to have them all in one graph. I can create a graph outside
> of Hobbit to do this, but within the monitoring system it restricts the RRD
> files it will display data from to those in the data directory of the
> selected client (in the Trends link).

Hmm.  You could probably create a host and set up a noconn test to some
random IP like 10.0.0.1 (i.e.  in bb-hosts:   10.0.0.1  fake-host  #
noconn).  Regardless of what host (or fake host, if you do that), you will
need to create a new RRD trend to that host.

You can create an RRD graph (by modifying hobbit-graph.cfg) that gets its
data from multiple RRD files.  These files are usually created in a
directory for each host, and I don't know if you can just create a symlink
to those or not.  But assuming that works, you should be all set in creating
a single graph that plots all the other data using a single scale.

I think you would want to add the following to hobbitserver.cfg:
GRAPHS="<whatever is already there>,custom-postfix"

And then hobbit-graph.cfg would look something like this:
[custom-postfix]
  . . .
  DEF:hosta:HostA.rrd:AVERAGE
  DEF:hostb:HostB.rrd:AVERAGE
  . . .

I have tried creating a new client in the data files ans symbolically