[hobbit] Custom Monitoring

Iain Conochie iain at shihad.org
Tue May 29 12:28:54 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 29 May 2007 10:36, Sello Tlabela wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to have hobbit to monitor the following

Theoretically, it is possible to monitor anything using hobbit

> , if yes How do I
> go about configuring it
> -hardware if possible (fans, temps)
> -raid status
> -dns resolvability
> -ethernet connectivity status
> -check if updates are available

But as you point out here, how can you go about doing it? Well, I would say
that if you have command line tools to monitor these devices (for hardware,
raid, ethernet and updates this should be fairly straight forward). For DNS I
guess a simple dig could do the job, although I am sure hobbit contains a DNS
check, although this is more is the DNS server working.

The main thing is that you will have to script up the tests yourself. You can
see the basic outline of how to do this in the help pages supplied by hobbit
in tricks and tips, custom scripts

Cheers and good luck

Iain