[hobbit] UDP Ports

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu May 3 17:49:38 CEST 2007

On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 04:45:13PM +0100, Barrett, Tony wrote:
> Is there any way I can monitor UDP ports within bb-services? Hobbit
> seems to assume all ports are TCP, and I'd like to run a port test
> against our DHCP servers here to make sure they're responding ok.

Hobbit doesn't have support for UDP protocols built in, since these
use mostly binary data - SNMP, DNS, DHCP, NFS and NTP are probably the
most commonly used UDP-based protocols, and they all carry date in a
binary format, unlike the popular TCP-based protocols.

And unlike TCP, the UDP-based protocols do not have a generic
"handshake" that you can use to check if the service is running.

My best suggestion is to use the tool called "dhcping" to check your
DHCP servers. It requires some special setup on the DHCP server side,
but once you have it working then creating a custom test script to
run it and report the status to Hobbit should be very simple.