[hobbit] bbtest crash & core dumping

Allan.Marillier at dana.com Allan.Marillier at dana.com
Thu Mar 22 13:02:03 CET 2007

Thanks to some help from Henrik I have solved my purple messages and
hobbitd_client crashing problem. The clue was in the gdb analysis which I
had noticed but wasn't totally sure what it meant.
Reading symbols from /lib/libpcre.so.0...(no debugging symbols
found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libpcre.so.0

The problem is to do with regular expressions. Henrik suggested my
bb-hosts but I have no regex's configured in there so I went to check my
hobbit-alerts.cfg and hobbit-clients.cfg. As I'm not too good with regular
expressions I started by commenting out all the most recently added custom
alerts and narrowed my problem down to a few custom alerts where I had
tried to tell hobbit which messages to ignore. I need to add some better
rules to allow me to better detect the messages I want and ignore a few
messages which I don't want.

In the process I asked Henrik if he had any regex checking tools, but went
out and did some searching myself as well. I found quite a good tutorial
at http://www.regular-expressions.info (with a lot of encouragement to buy
their regex capable text editor and some other regex tools), as well as a
number of freeware regex checking tools that might be useful to others
both in learning and testing regex configurations.

Not listed in any particular order (I'm still checking them out to see
which is most useful) - your milage may vary, and I don't endorse any of
these apps or have any connection to any of them in any way:
Regex Builder - http://renschler.net/RegexBuilder/
Regex Coach - http://www.weitz.de/regex-coach/
Regular Expression Laboratory - http://silveragesoftware.com/rxl.html
Funduc Search and Replace Regular Expression Wizard -
http://www.funduc.com/search_replace_wizard_ex.htm

Some are simple zip files, some require a Windows installation, but you
can use another tool called Universal Extractor to unpack them if you want
to just test them without the formal Windows installation process.

Allan.Marillier at dana.com
03/16/2007 07:44 AM
Please respond to
hobbit at hswn.dk

hobbit at hswn.dk
cc

Subject
Re: [hobbit] bbtest crash & core dumping

I posted a new query a week or so ago because I was having the same
problem even after I had added --no-ares to my hobbitlaunch.cfg so I
thought it might be a different issue.

Yesterday I tried moving my hobbit workload to a Fedora 6 system and I
have the same problem. This is no longer erratic, it's all the time. Any
other suggestions?

>From my hobbitlaunch.cfg:

[bbnet]
        ENVFILE /usr/lib/hobbit/server/etc/hobbitserver.cfg
        NEEDS hobbitd
        CMD bbtest-net --report --ping --checkresponse --no-ares
        LOGFILE $BBSERVERLOGS/bb-network.log
        INTERVAL 5m

>From the gdb dump analysis:

# gdb /usr/lib/hobbit/server/bin/hobbitd_client core.18931
GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (6.5-15.fc6rh)
are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux-gnu"...
(no debugging symbols found)
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/i686/nosegneg/libthread_db.so.1".

warning: Can't read pathname for load map: Input/output error.
Reading symbols from /lib/libpcre.so.0...(no debugging symbols
found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libpcre.so.0
Reading symbols from /lib/i686/nosegneg/libc.so.6...(no debugging symbols
found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/i686/nosegneg/libc.so.6
Reading symbols from /lib/ld-linux.so.2...
(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/ld-linux.so.2
Failed to read a valid object file image from memory.
Core was generated by `hobbitd_client'.
Program terminated with signal 6, Aborted.
#0  0x005a3402 in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x005a3402 in ?? ()
#1  0x00af8f30 in raise () from /lib/i686/nosegneg/libc.so.6
#2  0x00afa811 in abort () from /lib/i686/nosegneg/libc.so.6
#3  0x08062363 in ?? ()
#4  0x0806cee0 in pcre_free ()
#5  0x00000000 in ?? ()
(gdb)

henrik at hswn.dk (Henrik Stoerner)
01/22/2007 10:56 AM

Please respond to
hobbit at hswn.dk

hobbit at hswn.dk
cc

On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 10:29:49AM -0500, Allan.Marillier at dana.com wrote:
> I have a problem on a Fedora Core 5 server that comes up at random
> intervals with Henrik's rpm version of hobbit 4.2.0-1 where my
bbtest-net
> causes core dumps every 5 minutes and all tests turn purple.
> Any suggestions please? (I do have some core dumps saved but I'm not too

> familiar with gdb debugging)

See http://www.hswn.dk/hobbit/help/known-issues.html#bugreport for
instructions.

Adding a "--no-ares" option to the bbtest-net command in
hobbitlaunch.cfg might help; we know there is a bug in the C-ARES
library used for DNS lookups, but it is apparently something which only
triggers occasionally (or in specific setups).

hobbit-unsubscribe at hswn.dk

This e-mail, and any attachments, is intended solely for use by the
addressee(s) named above. It may contain the confidential or proprietary
information of Dana Corporation, its subsidiaries, affiliates or business
partners. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail or are an
unauthorized recipient of the information, you are hereby notified that
any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or any
attachments, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and
permanently delete the original and any copies or printouts.
Computer viruses can be transmitted via email. The recipient should check
this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. Dana
Corporation accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus
transmitted by this e-mail.
English, Francais, Espanol, Deutsch, Italiano, Portugues:
http://www.dana.com/overview/EmailDisclaimer.shtm

</PRE>
<hr>

English, Francais, Espanol, Deutsch, Italiano, Portugues:<br>
<hr>