[hobbit] Alerts not working at all

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Mar 13 22:08:29 CET 2007

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 03:42:45PM -0400, Thompson, Brian wrote:

> We've got the monitoring up just fine and the alerts happen when stuff
> goes down, but I don't receive any emails.  The only thing in my
> hobbit-alerts.cfg is this:
>
> HOST=*
> 	MAIL me at work.com
>
> What could I be missing?

This looks fine, but have you checked that your Hobbit server is capable
of sending mail at all ?

Try running the command
   bbcmd hobbitd_alert --test YOURHOSTNAME conn

You should see something like

2007-03-13 22:06:19 *** Match with 'MAIL me at work.com SERVICE=conn  ***
2007-03-13 22:06:19 Mail alert with command 'mail -s "Hobbit [12345] myhost:conn CRITICAL (RED)" me at work.com'

That command inside the quotes is the command used to send mail. Check
that this works on your system, e.g. your mail configuration might not
have a smarthost defined so all mail gets delivered locally.